Sunday 29 July 2012

Robert Lewis Reid and Tempting Sweets

'Tempting Sweets' (1924) by Robert Lewis Reid; Private Collection

Today's painter, Robert Lewis Reid, born on July 29, 1862, is another American Impressionist painter unknown to me. When I googled the images of his paintings, there were some paintings I liked but there were also a lot of which I thought the colours were too faint. Reid studied at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts School and also went to Paris to study under Gustave Boulanger and Jules Joseph Lefebvre. He painted landscapes, still lifes and murals. When he adopted a more Impressionist style around 1890 and started using a brighter palette, he focussed more on portraying women, often set amidst flowers and gardens. He was one of the founding members of the Ten American Painters, a group of Impressionists who rebelled against traditional art. Towards the end of his life, Reid was partially paralysed by a stroke and had to learn to paint with his left hand. I chose today's painting 'Tempting sweets' because of the colours and I also think the woman is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...