Thursday 29 March 2012

Georges Seurat and A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte

'A Sunday afternoon on the island of La Grande Jatte' (1884-86) by Georges Seurat; The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago

Sometimes it's nice to find a well-known painter being a match for a certain date and know that you don't have to look any further. Georges Seurat, born on December 2, 1859, and died on March 29, 1891, is not a painter whose overall work I particularly like because I don't like Pointillism very much. But this painting shown here, which I got to know doing a course in art history some years ago, stands out. It's a large-scale work, measuring approximately 2 by 3 meters, and considered to be Seurat's most famous work. The reason why I like this painting is because of the colours and because it's such a relaxed scene. I also think there's something static in the work which I like. Almost as if the people are frozen in time. Which would be nice because who wouldn't want to keep enjoying such a nice and lazy Sunday afternoon on the island of La Grande Jatte?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...