Wednesday 18 January 2012

Margaret of Parma, Regent of The Netherlands, by Anthonis Mor

File:MargarethevonParma01.jpg
'Margaret of Parma' (ca. 1562) by Anthonis Mor; Preussischer Kulturbesitz, Berlin

Today was a difficult day. I could not find any artists that I liked well enough and even struggled with historical events and figures. But I found Margaret of Parma at last. She was governor of The Netherlands, an illegitimate daughter of Emperor Charles V, and she became Duchess of Parma. She died on the 18th of January, 1586. Antonis Mor, a Dutch portrait painter, was popular at the European courts and did this portrayal of Margaret of Parma. I chose it for this post because I like her friendly smile and again, I'm fascinated by the robes and collar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...