Monday 2 January 2012

Jacopo Pontormo and The Deposition from the Cross

Detail from 'The Deposition from the Cross' (completed in 1528) by Jacopo Pontormo; Church of Santa Felicita, Florence

The nice part of this calendar principle is that I might not find an artist known to me, for a certain date. Like today. So I have to go and look for an artist that I haven't heard of before. Luckily I found Pontormo, an Italian Mannerist and Renaissance painter, born on May 24, 1494, and died on January 2, 1557, and apparently not a small artist, judging by the Wikipedia page. 'The Deposition from the Cross' is an alterpiece, to be seen in the Church of Santa Felicita in Florence. Pontormo started this work around 1525 and completed it in 1528. It's a portrayal of the life of Jesus and generally considered to be his masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...