Friday 13 January 2012

Dutch landscape painter Jan van Goyen and View on The Hague

'View on The Hague' (1651) by Jan van Goyen; The Hague Historical Museum, The Hague

I probably would have picked a portrait painter for this post if I could have found a nice one but Jan van Goyen happened to be born on the 13th of January, 1596. And just because I like portraits better doesn't mean that I don't like landscapes. For instance, I love the paintings by Casper Friedrich but I'm also beginning to appreciate Dutch landscape artists more than I used to. This painting here is said to be almost 5 metres wide and many of the buildings depicted in this particular scene still exist to this day. I might go and catch the train to The Hague and see it some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...